Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Drowning

Drowning


Oh, it's easy to be romantic about the sea,
Not so easy if you're drowning and struggling
In its snarling clutches
And raging waters.
“Save me, oh save me
Help, oh Help me,”
The cry of many a drowning person,
Falling on the deaf ears of the wind,
Falling into the abyss of gigantic waves,
Falling out into the days and nights
Of eternal silence,
Falling back to the beginning

Like grapes crushed to pulp,
So sweet the taste of the wine.

This poem was inspired by reading Paul Durcan’s “Give Him Bondi”. I had written a poem called ocean which gives an idealized romantic view of the sea. His poem got me thinking about the horror of drowning while one is going through this process and feeling so helpless and powerless. However once the drowning takes place and one returns to pure spirit, the experience must be so blissful.

6 comments:

  1. Rachael, that is a lovely write, and one I really feel.

    My uncle died when he was 17. I never knew him as I was born nearly 10 years later. I often wondered what it would have been like for him and others who drowned also.This poem gives a strong but real sense of what it is like.I come from Castletownbere and there have been so many accidents in the seas around there.

    Good experiences and benefits, yet there must be bad somewhere for good to exist, I guess.

    Thanks for sharing this. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susan for your comment and sorry to hear about your uncle. I also heard that my Grandfather, my father's father died in this way, but what was more disturbing was that I also heard he had been financially ruined in the depression of the 30s so I kind of put two and two together and thought maybe it was suicide, but maybe not. There is a belief that all life began in the ocean and when you consider the human feotus starting off in a sac of water, some people think that drowning must be pleasant because it's a bit like returning to the source, not that I think I'd like to test this theory. By the way Paul Durcan's poem, "Give Hime Bondi" upon which my poem is based is well worth reading. I bought his "Life is a Dream" (40 years reading poems) at Listowel writers festival last year. Thanks Susan for your support. Rxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the energy of this poem, Rachael. It's an antidote to easy sentimentality regarding the sea, which can be benign one moment and monstrous the next.
    Drowning would not be fun! So I love that ending, beginning with the repetition of the words.. 'Falling'.
    Nice one, Rachael. XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Barbara, so nice to have your comments here. Have quite a bit of reading and writing to catch up with. R xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachael,
    A poem of struggle, falling into an abyss, feels quite frightening but I love the last lines, they elevate the reader after the turmoil of the first lines with the colour, texture and scent of crushed grapes, the sweet taste of wine and a biblical feel to this poem, the water and the wine and so many other symbols from the bible which I really loved. Maire xx

    ReplyDelete