Sunday, November 4, 2012

Eternity (A sonnet)


I dedicate this sonnet to Mari Maxwell who posted a link for:  Sonnet or Not (2012) cannon poets competition, and so for the first time I had a go at writing a sonnet.  I missed the deadline, so therefore did not submit, so instead I'm posting it here:  Playing around here with iambic pentameter, alternate rhyme scheme and setting it out in 14 lines as required.  Thanks Mari for the inspiration.



On these Autumn days of amber and gold
I find myself in pensive mood and look
At tumbling leaves and days I cannot hold
of lengthening shadows dangling like a hook.
The bonfire burns the leaves that fall and die
And crackling flames in a fury of sound
Rising higher and higher in the sky
Remind me like these sparks I’m homeward bound
Look at creation and dissolution
The death of Autumn and the birth of Spring
Everywhere an infinite solution
Eternal joyous song to you I sing
So do not look at dying leaves and sigh
Look instead at stars shining in the sky.





2 comments:

  1. Oh Rachael, I love this. Thanks so very much. Blushing emoticon if I had one. A beautiful, thought provoking piece. There is something about this season that does make us pensive. I love the image of the lengthening shadows, sparks I'm homeward bound and that final blissful line with looking instead to the stars in the sky. You're in a zone Rachael for sure. Keep it rollin' xxMari

    ReplyDelete