Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Pros and Cons of Technology


Monday 3rd December


My post yesterday spoke about the relentless changes that have come about through technology.  It has brought so many benefits, and yet in some ways I feel something has been lost.

Someone once said to me ‘you just don’t like change do you?’   I suppose in a way familiarity is comforting, but when changes keep taking place, it can be difficult to keep up with all these changes.

I often look back nostalgically to a time when if you had a problem about some product or service, you could ring a number to a central switch board where a real human being would answer your call, and transfer you to speak to another real  human being, but these days you get mostly, press one, for such and such, two, for this and that, three for whatever and so on.

I often think of all the people who’ve been disposed of because using machines is more cost effective, and I recently read that even in a household instead of people sitting around a fire like times past talking to one another, now everyone sits in their own room communicating with others on their lap tops on social sites, we have never been so connected and yet we have never been so isolated and apart.

Virtual communication has so many limitations, but one thing that is certain, we cannot turn back the clock.
But of course I must equally acknowledge all the benefits, the wonderful friends I have made through a shared interest of writing and the publishing opportunities that have opened up for me.


7 comments:

  1. Yes, finding the fine balance between the pros and cons is what life is all about for me. I miss having humans at the end of a phone when I have a problem but they have become too expensive in this recessionary world but the wonder of friendships through our blogs, facebook, email enhances our lives greatly. Maire x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the times I pop my mobile on a shelf, in my pocket and don't allow it to intrude. Spot on Rachael!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are the times I pop my mobile on a shelf, in my pocket and don't allow it to intrude. Spot on Rachael!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sue, Máire and Mari, a pleasure finding all three of you through the medium of technology. Rachael xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know we need a balance with technology, and that it will never replace real life interactions, but I have learned so much, have enjoyed so much, found friends I love and have come across the seas to Ireland ...technology has enabled all this for me...it is a marvel , and I am so grateful for it.....BARBARA XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Barbara, yes amazing really, lots of benefits for us all and pure magic seeing you in person all thanks to the internet connecting us to one another. Rachael xx

    ReplyDelete