Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Right Words At The Right Time


Saturday 1st December

Did you ever have one of those days where everything seems to go wrong from start to finish?  Well today I had one of those kind of days.

Later in the evening I talk with a good friend of mine.  She is a regular meditator, and day in day out, year in, year out, rain, hail, snow, Christmas day, every day she never fails to retreat to her special corner and observe the breath (vipassana) and recite the mantra she uses interiorly in rhythm with the breath.  She tells me how life changing it was for her, and I know myself when I see her.  She is always positive, always happy.  She is definitely a good advertisement for daily meditation.

After having had a difficult day, more things go wrong for me in the evening, technical things like the blog I can normally edit won’t seem to bring me into the place where my posts are. I try several times, and then the cursor starts doing a dance across the page.  I can’t control it.  It’s like it’s acting with a mind of its own. Yes, I know that sounds quite comical, and on a good day, I will see the funny side to it,  but not now, not at this particular moment. This final last straw is just too much and I find myself descending into a very dark and bleak place.  It is a hellish place of futility as if I cannot see the point to anything.

Now having been told by my warm and loving mother that Jesus never fails us, I can never ever forgo this gift of faith that has been handed on to me and which lifts me out of such places of  darkness always when I need it most.

I have a bedside book called God Calling, a devotional diary by Two Listeners. It says on the front that it has sold six million copies worldwide, and so I randomly open it trusting and believing it will bring me to a passage that will be relevant and so I open the book not by selecting a particular page and theme, but just allowing myself to be led to wherever or whatever it is I need to see and I am brought to July 7 with the heading  which I would like to share with you whoever or wherever you are on your journey.


Painful Preparation

“Help and peace and joy are here.  Your courage will be rewarded. Painful as this time is you will both one day see the reason of it, and see too that it was not cruel testing but tender preparation for the wonderful life-work you are both to do.
Try to realize that your own prayers are being most wonderfully answered.  Answered in a way that seems painful to you, but that just now is the only way.
Success in the temporal world would not satisfy you.  Great success, in both temporal and spiritual worlds awaits you.
I know you will see this had to be.”

Come to me, all you who labour and are overburdened, and I will give you rest. Shoulder my yoke and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Yes, my yoke is easy and my burden light.  Matthew Chapter 11: 28 -30
The word yoke in this context means something that binds.

No comments:

Post a Comment